Here’s a handy presentation from Atim Ukoh, Director of Social Media at Webtech Dezine.
The key points include:
- Include your full name and image.
- Add a keyword rich headline. That’s good for SEO and helps LinkedIn deliver more relevant content.
- Update your work history, especially those that are relevant to your current work.
- Network with your school and work alumni. They know you and are probably comfortable with you.
- Customise your public URL and consider including your city.
- Ask for recommendations. I say give recommendations. Give before expecting to receive.
- Join groups and answer questions. Be helpful.
- Add updates, they stand out because so few people actually post stuff directly to LinkedIn.
- Get your mobile phone working and add people on the go.